Dahi Vada Recipe
Dahi vada is one of the most popular snacks in India. It is also one of the favourite festival recipes in India. It is prepared by soaking vada (fried lentil balls) in thick curd. Dahi vada is also commonly known as “Dahi bhalla” in Punjab, “Dahi bora” in Bengal “Peguru vada” in Telugu. I mean different states have different name for dahi vada but is prepared everywhere, with a little variation.
Dahi vada is prepared with split black lentil (urad dal), which is soaked and grind before making vada. Small vadas are prepared with this paste and hot hot deep fried vadas are put in water for sometimes, for making it soft. Then it is transferred to thick beaten curd. For best results, the vadas are soaked for at least a couple of hours before serving.
To add more flavour, they may be topped with coriander or mint chutney. Roasted chilli powder and roasted cumin powder also enhances the flavour of vada. Black pepper and black salt are also used for taste. In some places sweet curd is used for Dahi Vada and sometimes people love to use sweet tamarind chutney to give a sweet and tangy flavour it.
I like to top “Dahi vada” with grated carrot and finely chopped coriander leaves. This gives additional zest to my Dahi Vada.
Sometimes Dahi vada is served with papdi, cooked white grams (chhole), boiled potatoes along with different chutnies. It is commonly called as “Bhalla Chhat” in north India.
If you are looking for some more common Indian recipes, you can follow my link “All Time Favorite Snacks“.
I am mentioning here the step by step procedure for its Dahi Vada Preparation.
How to prepare Dahi Vada Recipe
|Black lentils (Urad dal)||1 cup|
|Green chilli, chopped (hari mirch)||1 tea spoon|
|Ginger (adrak), chopped||1” piece|
|Cumin seeds (jeera)||½ tea spoon|
|Asafoetida (hing)||a pinch|
|Salt (namak)||to taste|
|Curd (Dahi)||2 cup|
|Castor sugar (chini)||2 table spoon|
|Red chilli (lal mirch) powder||as required|
|Roasted cumin powder (bhuna jeera) powder||1 tea spoon|
|Black salt (kala namak)||to taste|
|Salt (namak)||to taste|
- 1. First pick and then rinse the lentils for 3-4 times in water and soak it for 4 hours.
- 2. Drain and add the lentils in a wet grinder also add chopped green chillies, chopped ginger, cumin seeds & asafoetida.
- 3. Now add little water and grind it to a smooth batter. Take the ground batter in a bowl; stir the batter briskly for a couple of minutes. This makes the batter more light and fluffy.
- 4. Now heat a pan with oil for deep frying. When the oil becomes medium hot, add spoonfuls of the batter in the oil.
- 5. When vadas become pale golden from the base and sides, you can turn them. Fry the vadas till they become golden and crisp. Drain on paper towels.
- 6. In bowl heat water with salt, black salt and roasted cumin seed powder. Now add the vadas to the water and soak it for 15-20 minutes.
- 7. Take each vada and flatten and press between your palms to remove excess water. Place these vadas in the serving bowl.
- 8. Whisk yogurt till smooth add little salt, black salt and castor sugar in it. Pour the yogurt over the vadas.
- 9. Top with the coriander chutney and tamarind chutney of your choice. Sprinkle the red chilli powder, roasted cumin powder, and black salt.
- 10. Garnish dahi vada with chopped coriander leaves.
- 11. Serve dahi vada immediately or refrigerate and serve later.