Mutta Pola Recipe
Mutta Pola is a traditional cake prepared in the Malabar region. It is a rich egg (anda) and carrot (gajar) cake embedded with nuts. In this recipe, I have used a pan for cooking the cake. A pressure cooker can also be used if pan is not available. Both milk (doodh) and milk powder have been used here. Milk powder helps the batter in achieving cake like consistency. The eggs make the batter fluffy and give a dense, rich taste to the cake. The carrots are supposed to be cooked properly in milk before adding to the egg mixture. Carrots are used as they provide an interesting texture and enhance the flavor of the cake. Cardamom powder (elaichi) is also added, which gives the cake a distinctive taste and a superb aroma. Fried raisins (kishmish) and cashew nuts (kaju) make the cake crunchy, giving it a nutty flavor. Although I have not used it here, baking soda can be added into the batter to make the cake rise a bit. This recipe is very easy to prepare and has minimal cooking time. These delightful Mutta Polas can be served as evening snacks, along with a hot cup of tea or coffee. This can also be served as dessert.
How to make Mutta Pola Recipe
|Carrot (gazar), grated||1 cup|
|Milk (doodh)||¼ cup|
|Sugar (chini)||3 table spoons|
|Milk powder||2 table spoons|
|Cardamom powder (elaichi)||½ tea spoon|
|Raisins (kismis)||2 table spoons|
|Cashew nut (kaju)||4-5 table spoons|
|Clarified butter (Ghee)||2 table spoons|
- 1. Mix carrot and milk in a pan and cook it till milk dries completely and keep it aside.
- 2. Mix the egg, sugar, milk powder and cardamom powder in a bowl and mix them with electric blender.
- 3. Once it becomes fluffy add the cooked carrot and mix it again.
- 4. Heat clarified butter in a pan and fry the raisins and cashew nut separately in it.
- 5. Now add the fried cashew nuts and raisins to the egg-carrot mixture and mix them with light hand.
- 6. Heat little clarified butter in a pan and pour the batter into it and cook it covered for 5-7 minutes.
- 7. Once it is cooked cut it into pieces serve hot.