NinthraPazahm (Banana) Pradhaman Recipe
Ninthra Pazahm (Big bananas or plantains) are very famous in Kerala. Ninthra Pazahm Paayasam is an appetizing sweet akin to a pudding. It is prepared with Banana, jiggery (gud) and coconut milk (nariyal ka doodh).
In this recipe, make sure that you use good, ripe bananas. Bananas are boiled till they turn soft, and then subsequently peeled and mashed. Then mashed bananas are fried and are boiled with coconut milk. The coconut milk of two coconuts has been used here. In this recipe coconut milk (Coconut extract) is used in two stages. First extract, which is obtained by squeezing coconut directly, for second extract some water is added in first extract and is used. Boiling of banana is done with the second extract of coconut. In last stage of cooking process, first extract should be added in paaysam this gives a strong flavour of coconut. For sweetening, jiggery is used. Cardamom powder (elaichi) is also used as it provides a wonderful flavour and nice aroma. In the end, fried dry fruits and slices of coconut is sprinkled as topping. Ninthra Pazahm Pradhaman is widely prepared during Onam festivities, and served in the end as dessert during sadhya (feast).
How to make NinthraPazahm (Banana) Pradhaman Recipe
|Ripe banana||2 big|
|Jiggery (gud), crushed||½ cup|
|Coconut milk (nariyel ka doodh)||2 coconuts|
|Cashew nuts (kaju)||4 table spoons|
|Coconut (nariyel), chopped||2 table spoons|
|Cardamom powder (elaichi)||½ tea spoon|
|Clarified butter (ghee)||2 table spoons|
- 1. Cut banana into three pieces and cook it in pressure cooker for 2 whistles.
- 2. Remove it from flame, peel and deseed it and then mash it well.
- 3. Grate coconut and squeeze out to extract milk (1st milk).
- 4. Then add 2 cups of water and grind the coconut and drain out milk (2nd milk).
- 5. Heat clarified butter in a pan, and fry the mashed banana for few minutes.
- 6. Now add crushed jiggery and let it cook till the jiggery melts and mix completely with banana.
- 7. Now add the 2nd extract of coconut milk and let it boil. Stir it in between so that no lump is formed.
- 8. Once the mixture becomes thick add the 1st extract of coconut milk and let it simmer on low flame for 5-7 minutes.
- 9. Now add cardamom powder and remove it from flame.
- 10. Fry the cashew nuts, sliced coconut in clarified butter and serve.