Pradhaman or payasam, or kheer is a traditional Kerala dessert. Payasam containing husked green gram (moong dal) or cherupayar parippu is called Parippu Pradhaman. It is prepared chiefly using moong dal, coconut milk (nariyal ka doodh) and jiggery (gud). The combination of sweet jiggery and the warm blend of coconut milk taste heavenly. Ideally, coconut milk of three coconuts is added in the payasam. Coconut milk is extracted three times to achieve this. The first extract has a thick and rich consistency, the second extract has medium consistency, and the third and final extract is the most dilute one. These various consistencies can be attained by adding water at different stages of extraction. It should be kept in mind that the rice and moong dal mixture is supposed to be boiled by using the third coconut milk obtained, that is, the most dilute one. Careful attention has to be paid when the rice starts boiling. At a stage when the mixture is half-cooked, the second coconut extract (milk) is to be added. After proper boiling and addition of jiggery, the first coconut extract (milk) is added. Addition of spices like cardamom powder (elaichi), ginger powder gives nice aroma to the recipe. Once done it is topped with fried dry fruits and coconut. Parippu Pradhaman is a big hit with the crowd during Onam festival.If you are looking for more Malabar desserts do check Paal Paayasam, NinthraPazahm (banana) Pradhanam, Unnakaya
How to make Parippu Pradhaman
|Husked green gram (dhuli moong dal)||½ cup|
|Rice (chawal)||½ cup|
|Coconut milk (nariyel ka doodh)||Of 3 coconuts|
|Jiggery (gud)||250 grams|
|Cardamom powder (elaichi)||½ tea spoon|
|Cumin powder (jeera)||¼ tea spoon|
- 1. Grate coconut and squeeze out to extract milk (1st milk).
- 2. Then add a cup of water and grind the coconut and drain out milk (2nd milk).
- 3. Now add 2 cups of milk and again grind it. Now drain out milk (3rd milk).
- 4. Heat a pan and dry roast the lentil. Once fragrance starts coming put off the flame and wash it properly.
- 5. Clean and wash the rice also.
- 6. Melt jiggery by adding ½ cup of water.
- 7. Boil rice and roasted lentil with 3rd milk.
- 8. Once it is half cooked add 2nd milk.
- 9. After boiling it for sometimes add melted and strained jiggery.
- 10. Let it cook for 5-7 minutes, and once it gets proper consistency, remove it from fire.
- 11. Now add 1st milk, cardamom powder and cumin powder.
- 12. Fry the sliced coconut in clarified butter and add this to your dessert.