Unnakaya is a South-Indian sweet in the shape of a spindle, mostly prepared using bananas (kela). It has originated from the Malabar region and is enjoyed during weddings, festivities and especially during the Ramadan fasting time. This recipe is very easy to make and does not require the use of a lot of ingredients. In this recipe, grated coconut (nariyal), raisins (kishmish) and cardamom powder (elaichi) have been used for the stuffing. As a variation, various nuts can be mixed in sugar syrup to prepare the stuffing. The sugar syrup should have proper consistency, and it should be carefully heated. The secret to making excellent Unnakaya lies in the apt steaming and mashing of the bananas. The bananas should have smooth and soft texture after the steaming process is completed, and the steaming should be done with their outer skin intact. It is advisable to oil your palm with a bit of coconut oil, because the mashed bananas tend to be sticky. The stuffing should be carefully placed inside the dough, evenly distributed. The sealing should be firm. After this step, these balls should be coated with a bit of flour. Deep frying these banana balls is the final step, and after cooking the unnakayas emerge with a wonderful golden-brown coloration. These sweet treats taste magical with a hot cup of tea or coffee.
How to make Unnakaya
|Cardamom powder (elaichi)||½ tea spoon|
|Raisins (kismis)||2 table spoons|
|Coconut (nariyel), grated||1 cup|
|Sugar (chini)||2 table spoons|
|Coconut oil (nariyel tel)||1 cup|
|All purpose flour (maida)||3-4 table spoons|
- 1. Heat a pan and put two tablespoons of sugar and add some water; just enough to soak the sugar and stir it.
- 2. Wait for the sugar to become syrupy.
- 3. Now add grated coconut and raisins in sugar syrup and mix nicely.
- 4. Add to this some cardamom powder and continue stirring.
- 5. Once it is done remove it from flame and let it cool completely.
- 1. Take the bananas in pressure cooker and steam it till it becomes soft (2-3 whistles).
- 2. Once it is done, take out the steamed bananas and mash it properly.
- 3. Apply some coconut oil on your palm.
- 4. Take a small ball of the mashed banana and spread it inside your palm.
- 5. Take some stuffing mixture and place it inside the mashed banana mixture.
- 6. Wrap it and gently pat with your fingers to give it a spindle shape.
- 7. Take dry all purpose flour in a plate and roll the balls in it.
- 8. Repeat the process with the rest banana.
- 9. Now heat enough coconut oil in a deep wok and fry the pieces till golden brown.
- 10. Unnakayas are ready; serve them with tea or coffee.