Pav Bhaji Recipe
Pav Bhaji is a fast food dish from Maharastra. The dish is very popular in Mumbai and it consists of vegetable curry which is served with soft bread. Pav Bhaji is now offered in outlets from simple handcarts to big restaurants all over India. The dish has become very popular in abroad also.
Pav Bhaji has many variations in ingredients, but is basically a spiced mixture of mashed vegetables in thick gravy cooked on a flat griddle served hot with a buttered soft white bread roll.
There are various methods of its preparation, but I preferably prepare Bhaji with a mixture of cauliflower, beans, capsicum, peas and carrot. I take vegetables in same proportion; this gives a balanced taste to the curry. I also use boiled potatoes this gives thick and smooth consistency to the gravy. A good amount of tomato is used for gravy preparation; this gives a tangy flavour to the dish. I use traditional pav bhaji masala, which is available in market for making gravy. Traditionally, bhaji is garnished with coriander leaves are served with sliced onions and lemon.
Pav used for this recipe should be fresh and soft. This is cooked in butter and this gives authentic flavour to the recipe.
I am explain step by step method for preparation of this recipe, which will make you easy to prepare Pav Bhaji at home.
If you are looking for more all time favorite recipes of India, you can follow my link All Time Favorite snacks.
How to make Pav Bhaji
|Potatoes boiled||6 medium|
|Peas (boiled)||1 cup|
|Capsicum (shimla), finely chopped||1 cup|
|Onion (payaz) finely chopped||1 cup|
|Tomatoes (tamater) finely chopped||1 cup|
|Ginger-garlic (adrakh lahsan) paste||2 tea spoon|
|Green chillies (hari mirch) chopped||5-6 tea spoon|
|Pav bhaji masala||4 table spoon|
|Kashmiri chilli powder||1 tea spoon|
|Turmeric (haldi) powder||½ tea spoon|
|Salt (namak)||as per taste|
|Butter (makhhan)||4-5 table spoons|
|Vegetable oil||3-4 table spoons|
|Lemon juice (nimboo ka ras)||4-5 table spoons|
|Green coriander (hara dhaniya)||4-5 table spoon|
- 1. Finely chop the onions, green chillies, tomatoes and capsicum. Keep aside.
- 2. Boil potatoes and mash them well. Boil peas and keep them separately.
- 3. Heat a pan, add 2 tea spoons of oil.
- 4. Add chopped capsicum and peas in pan, add little water and boil it.
- 5. Add finely chopped tomatoes, 1 tea spoon garlic- ginger paste, and green chillies and let it boil. If the mixture is drying, you can add half cup of water.
- 6. While cooking it use flat ladle and mash the vegetables.
- 7. Add salt, red chilli powder, turmeric and pav bhaji masala and let it cook for 3-4 minutes.
- 8. Now add mashed boiled potatoes add little butter and let it cook on low flame. If require add little water and make smooth paste.
- 9. Add salt, red chilli powder, turmeric and pav bhaji masala and let it cook for 3-4 minutes.
- 10. Now add mashed boiled potatoes add little butter and let it cook on low flame. If require add little water and make smooth paste.
- 11. In another pan heat oil and butter. Add chopped onion, garlic- ginger paste, and green chillies and fry it. Once onion becomes pink, add pav bhaji masala, kashmiri red chilli and let it cook for 3-4 minutes.
- 12. Now add the cooked vegetables and mix everything properly. Let it cook for 7-8 minutes.
- 13. Finish it with some coriander leaves, lemon juice and 1 tea spoon of pav bhaji masala.
- 14. When Pav bhaji simmers to the desired consistency add lemon juice and butter.
- 1. Slice the Pavs. On a flat pan, heat some butter.
- 2. When the butter melts, keep the pavs on the melted butter so that it absorbs the butter and fry for a minute.
- 3. Serve hot pav with bhaji and sliced onions and lemon.
- 4. You can add more butter, if you like it. In fact, with more butter, the pav bhaji tastes very good.