Pinni is a popular Punjabi dessert, which is mostly prepared in winter season. It is very common dessert of Punjab and usually is prepared in almost every family. Pinni is prepared with wheat flour and semolina and cooking medium used for the recipe is clarified butter (ghee). Use of good amount of clarified butter (ghee) is the secret of delicious flavor of recipe. Traditionally lots of dry fruits are added in pinni recipe.Combination of dry fruits like almonds, cashew nuts and pistachios are fried in clarified butter and the are grind to make powder. When this dry fruits powder is added to the pinni mixture, it give a yummmm…..taste. Addition of dried coagulated milk (khoya) is optional, although I am using it here but it may be avoided. For sweetning traditionally castor sugar(bura) is used. For additional flavor cardamom powder is used.
Pinni can be preserved for a month in air tight containers. Very good dessert for travelling, which is rich in nutrition and has long life.
How to make pinni recipe
|Wheat flour (atta)||4 cups|
|Semolina (suji)||1 cup|
|White granulated sugar (bura)||2 cups|
|Clarified butter (ghee)||2 cups|
|Coagulated milk (khoya)||1 cup|
|Almonds (badam)||½ cup|
|Pistachios (pista)||½ cup|
|Cashewnuts (kaju)||½ cup|
- 1. Dry roast semolina in a wok and once it becomes golden remove it from flame.
- 2. Heat 5-6 table spoons of clarified butter in a thick bottom pan over low heat.
- 3. Add the dry fruits and roast them lightly.
- 4. Lightly brown the coagulated milk (khoya) in hot pan and keep aside.
- 5. Once done, remove them from flame and slightly crush them in blender.
- 6. Heat rest of the clarified butter in same wok and add the flour and cook till they become golden in colour. (Stir continuously to avoid burning).
- 7. After the flour is done, add roasted semolina.
- 8. Then add the roasted coagulated milk (khoya), crushed dry fruits and mix well.
- 9. Turn off the heat and add in the sugar and mix well.
- 10. After the mixture has cooled down and can be touched, take a small amount of the mixture and form small pinnis (laddos) with hand.
- 11. Place the pinni on a tray or plate to cool down and then store it in air tight container.