It is traditional creamy desert from states of Gujarat and Maharashtra. It is one of the essential part of Guajarati meal. It comes in different flavors such as saffron (kesar), mango, sitaphal/ Sharifa (custard apple).
It is basically made from hung curd, sugar and saffron. Hung curd is the curd made from draining all the whey from it. It can be made easily at home, by hanging curd in muslin cloth for 3-4 hours. Excellence of shrikhand depends on preparation of hung curd and its freshness.
Once your hung curd is prepared, saffron (kesar), cardamom (elaichi) and sugar are added. Kesar adds colour and elaichi gives fragrance to hung curd, along with sugar, makes a flavoursome combination. Pistachios and almonds can be added for topping.
For making fruit shrikhand add fruit pulp or puree to hung curd and blend. Like for mango shrikhand use mango puree with small cut pieces of mango. The more mango you add, better yellow colour will be your shrikhand. It most loved shrikhand among kids and is seasonal.
It is most quickly made Indian dessert, except for time taken to make hung curd. It can be easily made at home in just 15 minutes. Tastes good when served cool.
If you are looking for more Gujrati recipe Lapsi, Jalebi
How to make Shrikhand
|Curd (Dahi)||of 1 liter milk|
|Cardamom (elaichi) powder||½ tea spoon|
|Castor Sugar (chini)||½ cup|
|Saffron (Kesar)||Few strands|
|Milk (doodh)||1 table spoon|
|Pistachio and almond crushed||2 table spoon|
- 1. Tie curd in a clean muslin cloth for 3-4 hours.
- 2. Put into a bowl and add sugar. Mix it completely.
- 3. Pass the curd- sugar mixture through a big holed strong strainer, pressing with a spatula.
- 4. Rub saffron into 1 table spoon of milk till well broken and dissolved. Keep aside.
- 5. Mix in cardamom powder and dissolved saffron and half nuts in curd mixture.
- 6. Serve it in beautiful small serving bowls and top it with remaining nuts and few strands of saffron.
- 7. Chill it for 1-2 hours before serving.
- Recipe Type : Desserts, Desserts, Gujrat, Indian sweets, Regional