Vada Pav Recipe
Vada Pav Recipe, better to call it “Indian Burger”. It is a popular street food of Maharashtra and very popular in Mumbai. While travelling in Maharastra, I never miss a chance to have a Vada Pav with a cup of Masala Tea in “Dhaba” (a small street café). Although it is a trendy Maharastrian snack, but now a days it has become popular in all parts of India. I was really surprised when I found a Vada Pav stall in Lucrene a city of Switzerland while travelling there. This actually shows the popularity of dish.
Vada Pav Recipe is basically a sandwich of “batata vada” or “aalo vada” that is filled in between the two halves of the Pav. Tha aalo vada or batata vada is made up of a spicy potato filing deep fried in a thick gram flour batter. A soft pav is used for the preparation, which makes the preparation delicious. One of the striking part of this dish is dry garlic chutney that comes with it. It gives the real authentic taste to the Vada Pav. It is served with green chutney and is relished by almost every Indian. Fried green chilli is also a traditional combination of Vada Pav.
Although Vada Pav Recipe is a popular breakfast, but people love to have it as brunch also. It is delicious snack and easy to cook. I am writing a detail recipe of it.
How to make Vada Pav Recipe
|Boiled potatoes, lightly mashed||2 large|
|Onion (payaz), finely chopped||3-4 table spoon|
|Green chillis, finely chopped||2 table spoon|
|Ginger garlic(adrakh lahsan) paste||1 tea spoon|
|Cumin seeds (jeera)||½ tea spoon|
|Mustard seeds (sarso)||½ tea spoon|
|Curry leaves (curry patta)||1 spring|
|Turmeric (haldi) powder||¼ tea spoon|
|Lemon juice(nimboo ka ras)||1 table spoon|
|Coriander leaves (hara dhaniya), Chopped||¼ cup|
|Vegetable oil||for frying|
|Gram flour (besan)||1 cup|
|Red chilli (lal mirch) powder||½ tea spoon|
|Rice flour (chawal ka aata)||2 table spoon|
|Baking soda||a pinch|
|Pav Bread||4 piece|
|Dhaniya chutney||2 table spoon|
|Lahsun ki chutney||2 table spoon|
- 1. Heat oil in a pan, add the mustard seed and allow them to splutter.
- 2. Add the cumin seeds and let them brown lightly.
- 3. Add green chillis, curry leaves and ginger-garlic paste and sauté for a minute then immediately add the onions and sauté for 4-5 minutes.
- 4. Add the salt, turmeric powder and stir it.
- 5. Now add the mashed potatoes and combine and cook for a minutes.
- 6. Add coriander leaves and lemon juice and turn off heat. Cool and make small balls and keep aside.
- 7. Place a heavy bottomed vessel on the stove, add enough oil for deep-frying and allow it to heat on low flame.
- 8. While the oil is heating prepare the batter.
- 9. In a bowl, add the ingredients required for making the batter.
- 10. Slowly add water and make a slightly thick, flowing batter.
- 11. Dip the potato ball in the batter and coat it well and place in the hot oil.
- 12. Cook on medium high flame till golden brown. Remove it onto absorbent paper.
Making Vada Pav
- 1. Cut Pav into two halves from center, apply little oil/butter and roast it in a pan.
- 2. Now apply garlic chutney in one part of pav and dhaniya chutny on two halves of pav.
- 3. Now put vada on one part and slightly press the vada to flatten it and cover it with other half and serve.