Amritsari Vadiyan Pulao
Recently, I had gone on a trip to Amritsar to visit the Golden Temple and seek the lord’s blessings. During my stay, I decided to be a bit adventurous and tried out different local Punjabi dishes. The standout among them was the Amritsari Vadiyan Pulao. Vadis are sundried lentil dumplings made from ground lentils. They are used in many rice dishes and curries in the Sindhi cuisine. These vadis are extremely flavoursome and elevate the tone of any dish. In this recipe, I have fried the vadis to add crunchiness to the pulao (rice dish). A variety of hot spices have been used here, all of which can be added according to taste. Traditionally, pulaos are prepared by combining multiple vegetables with rice. Here, I have used peas (matar) and potatoes (aloo). Some other vegetables can also be added, like cauliflower (gobhi), carrot (gajar), etc. This spice-veggie concoction is cooked along with rice on a medium flame, aided by water and is stirred from time to time. The pan is covered with a lid for a few minutes and the rice is allowed to cook. I personally prefer cooking this dish in the microwave, as it takes a bit less time. Amritsari Vadiyan Pulao can be served hot with cool raita, delivering complementing tastes. This dish is like a breath of fresh air and can be prepared whenever you get bored of the normal rice dishes.
You may also like recipe of Vegetable Biryani, Baby corn Pulao, Bisi Bele Bhat.
How to make Amritsari Vadiyan Pulao
|Basmati rice (Basmati chawal)||2 cups|
|Amritsari Vadiyaan break into small pieces||2 pieces|
|Onions (payaz) sliced vertically||1 big|
|Potatoes (aaloo) sliced vertically (like French fries)||2 big|
|Green peas (Hara matar)||1/2 cup|
|Bay leaf (tej pata)||2|
|Brown cardamom (badi elaichi)||1|
|Cumin seeds (sabut jeera)||1 tea spoon|
|Red chili powder (lal mirch)||1 tea spoon|
|Ginger (adrakh), chopped||1 table spoon|
|Green chilies with slit in middle||2-3 pieces|
|Clarified butter (ghee)||3 table spoon|
|Lemon juice (Nimboo ka ras)||2 table spoon|
- 1. Clean, wash and soak rice in water for 30 minute.
- 2. In a non-stick deep pan heat clarified butter.
- 3. Once hot add cumin seeds, bay leaf and cardamom and cook it for 1 minute.
- 4. Add ginger and green chillies and Sauté them on low heat, when ginger turns pink.
- 5. Turn to high heat now and add vadiyaan pieces and roast them.
- 6. When vadiyaan turn golden brown add potatoes and let them fry.
- 7. When potatoes are half done, then add onion and peas.
- 8. Sauté them and add salt and red chili powder.
- 9. Now add drained rice and saute them for 5 minutes.
- 10. Now turn the gas to medium heat and add water. Stir with wooden spoon and add lemon juice.
- 11. Cover the pan with heavy lid and let it cook (I prefer to cook it in microwave).
- 12. Serve "Amritsari Vadiyan Pulao" with raita and salad.
- Recipe Type : Punjab, Regional, Rice, Vegetarian, Vegetarian
Comments are closed.