Chicken Fry is a classic South Indian dish, originating from Andhra Pradesh. Also known as Kodi Vepudu in Telugu, this is a popular dry chicken recipe. Crisp well-seasoned skin, rendered of excess fat, is a hallmark of well-made fried chicken. In case you are a vegetarian, the filling can be prepared with cottage cheese (paneer) or tofu.
Small pieces of chicken have been used, which are washed and marinated with a spice-curd mixture. Red chilli powder (lal mirch) gives a fiery flavour to the chicken, and yoghurt (dahi) provides a soft texture. The spices can be added according to taste. The marinated chicken should be allowed to rest for at least half an hour. The longer you marinate, the more the spices blend into the chicken. These chicken pieces are then rolled into a bread crumb-gram flour (besan) mixture, seasoned with black pepper (kali mirch) and deep-fried on a low flame. As the chicken pieces cook, some of the moisture that exudes from the chicken is absorbed by the coating of flour, leading to a more flavourful crust. A nice crispy texture is obtained in the end. Eggs (anda) or milk (doodh) can also be added to the batter to make it smoother. A pressure cooker or pan can also be used to deep-fry the chicken. The excess oil can be drained out using kitchen tissues. Chicken Fry tastes wonderful with some dip or tomato sauce, and can be served as an appetizer. This spicy chicken fry wins hearts with its simplicity and authentic taste.
If you are looking for more chicken snacks do check Chicken Pakoda, Cheese stuffed chicken, Chicken Cutlet.
How to make Chicken Fry
|Chicken boneless, cubed||500 gm|
|Vegetable oil||for frying|
|Bread crumbs||½ cup|
|Gram flour||½ cup|
|Black pepper (kali mirch)||1 tea spoon|
|Salt (namak)||to taste|
|Onion (payaz) grated||½ cup|
|Garlic- ginger (adrakh lahsan) paste||1 table spoon|
|Yoghurt (dahi)||2 table spoon|
|Chilli powder (lal mirch)||½ tea spoon|
|Salt (namak)||to taste|
|Turmeric (haldi)||½ tea spoon|
- 1. Wash and cut chicken pieces into small pieces.
- 2. Mix grated onion, garlic ginger paste, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt together in a bowl.
- 3. Add curd into this mixture and marinade chicken with it. Keep this in fridge for 30 minutes.
- 1. Heat oil in a pan.
- 2. Mix bread crumbs, gram flour, black pepper and salt in a plate.
- 3. Roll chicken pieces in bread crumbs - gram flour mixture and deep fry it on low flame.
- 4. Once chicken is cooked drain it on absorbent paper and serve it with dip or sauce of your choice.
- Recipe Type : Chicken snacks, Non vegetarian Snacks, Snacks
No comments yet.