Grilled Potato Idli
Potatoes and Idlies both enjoy an equal amount of fanfare. So what happens when they come together to star in a dish? A sure shot formula for a box-office success, guaranteed! In this recipe, I have used leftover idlies and revamped them by combining with mashed potatoes. Finely chopped onions (pyaaz) are sautéed in a small amount of oil, along with some aromatic spices. Curry leaves (curry patta) give the dish a wonderful aroma, while turmeric powder (haldi) gives it a brilliant yellow colour. All these spices can be added according to taste. The mashed potatoes (aloo) are added into this mixture with a hint of lemon juice (nimboo ka ras) and chopped coriander leaves (dhaniya), which enhances its freshness. This mixture is then rolled into small round balls. Assembling this dish is the most exciting part. The idlies are kept on a greased baking tray, and topped with some green (coriander chutney). The potato balls are then placed on top of this, followed by a coat of tomato ketchup. These two sauces give the dish a vibrant flavour and bring in the best of both worlds. The oven is pre-heated to the correct temperature beforehand, and the potato idlies are allowed to cook in it for the required time. So the next time you plan on spicing up an idly dish, don’t forget to invite potato along for the ride.
How to make Grilled Potato Idli
|Boiled potatoes, lightly mashed||2 large|
|Onion (payaz), finely chopped||3-4 table spoon|
|Green chillis, finely chopped||2 table spoon|
|Ginger garlic ( adrakh lahsan) paste||1 tea spoon|
|Cumin seeds (jeera)||½ tea spoon|
|Mustard seeds (sarso)||½ tea spoon|
|Curry leaves (curry patta)||1 sprig|
|Turmeric (haldi) powder||¼ tea spoon|
|Lemon juice (nimboo ka ras)||1 table spoon|
|Coriander leaves (hara dhaniya) chopped||¼ cup|
|Salt (namak)||to taste|
|Vegetable oil||for frying|
|Coriander chutney||4 table spoon|
|Tomato sauce||4 table spoon|
- 1. Heat oil in a pan, add the mustard seed and allow them to splutter.
- 2. Add the cumin seeds and let them brown lightly.
- 3. Add green chillis, curry leaves and ginger-garlic paste and sauté for a minute then immediately add the onions and sauté for 4-5 minutes.
- 4. Add the salt, turmeric powder and stir it.
- 5. Now add the mashed potatoes and combine and cook it for few minutes. Add coriander leaves and lemon juice and turn off heat.
- 6. Cool and make small balls and keep aside.
- 7. Divide the potatoes into 8 parts.
- 8. Arrange idlies on greased baking tray.
- 9. Now apply a layer of green chutney.
- 10. Press a ball of potato on idly, and then apply a layer of tomato sauce.
- 11. Repeat the process with other Idlies also.
- 12. Now preheat oven at 180 C and bake it for 5-7 minutes.