Baby Corns with Lemon Sauce
Baby corns are God’s gift to the world. Sun-kissed and crispy, these mini vegetables have an array of health benefits, being rich in proteins and vitamins. Also known as candle corn, it especially helps you to stay fit, and during pregnancy too (as it is a good source of folic acid). This recipe makes use of the refreshing combination of baby corns with lemon sauce, resulting in a splash of yellow greatness.
Firstly, the baby corns are marinated with soy sauce and salt. Some cornflour is combined with a hint of lemon juice, which acts as the binding agent. The marinated baby corns are then dipped in this mixture and rolled in a bread crumbs and all-purpose flour mixture. They are subsequently deep-fried in a pan, which makes the baby corns crunchy. The excess oil can be drained out by using kitchen tissues.
For the accompanying sauce, corn starch is used as it is also a thickening agent. It is combined with some sugar (for sweetness), lemon juice and lemon zest to provide that citrusy kick. Here, yellow food colouring can be used too if wanted. Some heated oil is added to this sauce, which renders it clear.
The juicy lemon sauce is drizzled over the fried baby corns. This succulent baby corn dish can be served in the form of an appetizer.
How to make Babycorn with Lemon Sauce
For Baby Corns
|Baby corns||15-20 pieces|
|Soy sauce||1 tea spoon|
|Corn flour||2 table spoon|
|Lemon juice||½ tea spoon|
|White pepper||½ tea spoon|
|All purpose flour||¼ cup|
|Bread crumbs||¼ cup|
|Vegetable oil||for frying|
|Sugar||3 table spoon|
|Vegetable broth/Water||1 cup|
|Cornstarch||1 table spoon|
|Lemon juice||2 table spoon|
|Lemon zest||½ tea spoon|
|Vegetable oil||2 table spoon|
|Yellow food colour (optional)||a pinch|
|Slices of lemon||2|
For Baby Corns
- 1. Place baby corns into a bowl and mix them with soy sauce and salt.
- 2. Mix 2 table spoons of corn flour with white pepper, lemon juice and half cup of water and keep aside.
- 3. Mix all purpose flour with bread crumbs and keep it dry in a plate.
- 4. Now take the marinated baby corn pieces, dip them into corn flour mixture and coat them into bread crumbs – all purpose flour mixture.
- 5. Heat oil and deep-fry in batches until baby corn is fully cooked. Drain out on a paper towels and set aside.
- 1. Now, to make sauce combine sugar, cornstarch, vegetable broth/ water, lemon juice, lemon zest, food colour and salt. Mix until well combined.
- 2. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil and stir in the lemon sauce mixture and heat until well mixed and sauce becomes clear.
- 3. Remove it from flame.
How to proceed
- 1. Take hot fried baby corn pieces into a plate.
- 2. Pour the sauce over the fried baby corns.
- 3. Garnish it with lemon slices and serve hot.