Deep-fried snacks are the kind of snacks that can melt anyone’s heart. You just cannot say no to these crunchy munchies. In this recipe, I have prepared Mutton Wraps which consist of juicy minced mutton (keema) cooked in a hot spice mixture and stuffed in a half-moon shaped wrap. Their appearance shares an uncanny resemblance to gujiya, an Indian dessert. But the savoury nature of filling is the major difference in case of the mutton wrap.
I have used a variety of spices having bold flavours for the seasoning of minced mutton. The proportion of these spices can be toned down or adjusted according to taste. Water is added to this mixture, as it speeds up the cooking process. Grated cheese and chopped coriander leaves (dhaniya) are sprinkled on top to enhance the flavour. To prepare the wrap dough, is made up of all-purpose flour (maida) with clarified butter (ghee). The dough should be soft and easy to work with. It is rolled into small-disc shaped chapattis. The mutton filling is placed on one side of this chapatti, and sealed with the other side using water, by pressing gently. These mutton wraps are subsequently deep-fried, and the excess oil is drained out with the help of kitchen tissues. They taste juicy with tomato sauce or green chutney. These hot and crispy mutton wraps served as starters are absolute winners.
How to make Mutton Wrap
|Minced mutton (keema)||1 cup|
|Ginger (adrakh)||2 table spoon|
|Garlic (lahsan)||2 table spoon|
|Green chilli (hari mirch), chopped||2 table spoon|
|Onion (payaz) chopped||½ cup|
|Pepper powder (kali mirch)||1 tea spoon|
|Red chilli powder (lal mirch)||1 tea spoon|
|Coriander powder (dhaniya)||2 table spoon|
|Hot spices powder (garam masala)||1 tea spoon|
|Coriander leaves (hara dhaniya), chopped||3-4 table spoon|
|Cheese grated||2 table spoon|
|Salt (namak)||to taste|
|Vegetable Oil||2-3 table spoon|
|All purpose flour (Maida)||1½ cup|
|Salt( namak)||to taste|
|Hot clarified butter(ghee)||2 table spoon|
|Enough water||for making dough|
|Vegetable oil||for frying|
- 1. Heat 2-3 table spoon oil in a pan, add chopped garlic ginger stir for few minutes. Now add onion and green chillies stir till it changes colour to golden.
- 2. Add minced mutton and stir well. Then add red chilli powder, coriander powder, pepper powder, salt and hot spices stir well.
- 3. Add little water and let it cook till mutton is cooked.
- 4. Add grated cheese and coriander leaves and put the flame off. Remove into a bowl.
- 1. Mix all purpose flour with salt, melted clarified butter and water and make soft dough.
- 2. Make 10 small balls out of the dough.
- 3. Roll each dough very thin with a rolling pin into small discs.
- 4. Arrange the stuffing on one side of the sheet (disc) and fold the other side.
- 5. Stick the sides with help of little water.
- 6. Heat enough oil in a deep pan and deep fry these wraps and remove them into a kitchen towel.
- 7. Serve hot with sauce or chutney of your choice.