Grilled Chicken Roll
Chicken Roll is an immensely popular street food originating from West Bengal. Also known as Calcutta Roll and Frankie, these rolls consists of various types of fillings, both vegetarian and non-vegetarian. I have given here the recipe of Grilled Chicken Roll, which is very similar to the Kathi Roll recipe. For preparation of the chapatti dough, I have used all-purpose flour (maida). Combining it with warm milk (doodh) makes the dough soft and gives it a rich flavour. I have also incorporated powdered aniseed (saunf) into the dough to give it a wonderful aroma, and a distinctive taste. For the stuffing, minced chicken (keema) is marinated in a curd-spice mixture. Marinating is an important step, and it should make the keema tender and juicy. The spices can be added according to taste. This is then followed by the cooking and grilling of the marinated chicken in the microwave. Additionally, I have also used other elements like onion (pyaaz), lemon juice (nimboo ka ras) and chopped fresh coriander leaves (dhaniya) to introduce extra crunch and enhance the juiciness. This filling is stuffed into the cooked chapatti, and topped with green (coriander) chutney. Grilled Chicken Rolls taste fantastic with some tomato sauce. These rolls will surely spice up your life.
How to make Grilled Chicken Roll
|All purpose flour (Maida)||2 cups|
|Lukewarm milk (Doodh)||½ cup|
|Refined oil||2 table spoon|
|Powdered aniseed (Saunf)||½ tea spoon|
|Salt (Namak)||as per taste|
|Butter for cooking||3-4 tables spoon|
|Minced chicken (Keema)||1 cup|
|Onion (Pyaz)||½ cup|
|Garlic (Lahsan) paste||1 tea spoon|
|Green chillies(Hari mirch) chopped||1 tea spoon|
|Hot spices (Garam masala)||1 tea spoon|
|Thick Curd (Dahi)||4 table spoon|
|Salt||as per taste|
|Onion rings (Payaj ke lachhe)||½ cup|
|Lemon juice (Nimboo ka ras)||2 table spoon|
|Coriander (Hara dhaniya) leaves||4 table spoon|
|Salt||as per taste|
|Pepper (Kali mirch) powder||½ tea spoon|
|Red/ Green chutney||4 table spoon|
- 1. Sieve the flour with the salt in a bowl and add the aniseed powder. Add 2 table spoon refined oil and make soft dough.
- 2. Cover and leave it for 1 hour.
- 3. Divide the dough into equal parts. Shape them into balls and roll out into rounds about 5" to 6" in diameter, cook it lightly and keep aside.
- 1. Marinate minced chicken with chopped onion, garlic, green chilli, curd and salt for 5-6 hours.
- 2. Take this marinated chicken in a grilling pan and brush it with mustard oil. Now to make the Chicken juicy cook it in microwave (100% power) for 5 -7 minutes and then grill it for 6-7 minutes.
- 3. Put oil in a separate pan and heat it on gas. Now add grilled chicken in it and cook it for 10 minutes. Add hot spices and coriander leaves and put the flame off.
- 1. Mix onion rings, lemon juice, coriander leaves, salt and pepper in a bowl and mix it well and keep aside.
- 1. Put little butter in a pan and cook roti until light brown.
- 2. Now put one table spoon onion mixture, 1 tea spoon of chutney and one table spoon cooked minced chicken mixture and roll the roti.
- 3. Serve “Grilled chicken roll” hot.