Reshmi kebabs are traditional Mughlai chicken kebabs with a soft and satiny marinade. This dish gets its name from the succulence of the meat after prolonged marinating. The juicy marinade consists of lemon juice (nimboo ka ras), spices and some crushed garlic (lahsan). These spices can be added according to taste. Curds (dahi) can also be added to it to obtain a smooth marinade. The key to nailing this recipe is to ensure that the bite-size chicken pieces are tender. For this, proper marination of the chicken should be carried out overnight, or at least for 8 hours. The use of chicken in kebab amounts to a lower calorie count than usual. The beaten egg (anda)-gram flour (besan) mixture serves as the binding agent, and makes for a crispy exterior. Finally, the marinated chicken pieces are cooked in an oven for some time, which should be pre-heated to the correct temperature beforehand. Reshmi kebabs taste wonderful with green chutney (mint or coriander) and salad. They can be served as appetizers, and are one of the most popular non-vegetarian starters in Indian restaurants.
How to make Reshmi Kebab
|Boneless chicken||½ kg|
|Garlic (lahsan) paste||2 table spoon|
|Ginger (adrakh) paste||1 table spoon|
|Red chilli (lal mirch)||½ tea spoon|
|Onion (payaz) grated||4 table spoon|
|Hot spices (garam masala)||½ tea spoon|
|Gram flour (besan)||1 tea spoon|
|Lemon juice (nimboo ka ras)||2 table spoon|
|Salt (namak)||to taste|
|Melted Butter (makhhan)||2-3 table spoon|
- 1. Marinate chicken pieces with salt, lemon juice, red chilli and a tea spoon of crushed garlic.
- 2. Keep it in refrigerator for overnight.
- 3. Crack egg in a bowl; add gram flour, grated onion, garlic ginger paste, red chilli powder and salt in it and mix it well.
- 4. Preheat oven at 200 C.
- 5. Roll the marinated chicken pieces in egg mixture and arrange it on a greased baking tray. Brush it with melted butter.
- 6. Bake the chicken pieces for 20-25 minute in a preheated oven.
- 7. Serve Reshmi kebab with salad and chutney of your choice.