Paneer Butter Masala Recipe
Paneer Butter masala is one of the delicacies of Punjabi cuisine. Punjabi cuisine has a rich tradition of many distinct ways of cooking. The cuisine is characterised by abundance of dairy products in form of cottage cheese (malai), curd (dahi) and cottage cheese (paneer).The food is simply delicious and may be one of the most popular cuisine of India. Punjabi foods are popular not only in India but its flavour and aroma has spread all over world. People from different part of world have started relishing Punjabi food.
Thick gravy is prepared with fried onion and cashew-nuts in butter. As the name suggests “Makhani” means Makhkhan or Butter is an important ingredient of this curry. Traditionally a good amount of butter is used for the recipe but I have reduced the quantity as now day’s people are health conscious and prefer to use less fat. Tomato puree and little sugar are added to the gravy, which gives little sweetness and little tangy taste to the dish. Fresh cream is added to the gravy which makes it fabulous. I strongly recommend to use fresh paneer (cottage cheese) to the dish to get the actual taste.
How to make Paneer Butter Masala
- 1. Heat little oil and 1 table spoon of butter in a pan, add bay leaves, green chilies and saute it for a few seconds.
- 2. Add cottage cheese and cook it for further for 2-3 minutes. Put the flame off and keep it aside.
- 1. Heat 2 table spoon of oil in a pan and fry onion till brown and let it cool. Take this onion in a grinder jar with ginger and make smooth paste and keep aside.
- 2. Soak cashew nuts in milk for 15 minutes and make a smooth paste.
- 3. Boil tomatoes in water till becomes soft. Let it cool and peel it off. Now grind the boiled tomatoes and make puree.
- 4. In a pan heat 2 table spoons of butter and little oil together. (Butter burns very quickly so always use it with little oil)
- 5. Now add the prepared onion- ginger paste and cook it for sometimes.
- 6. Add chilli powder, Kashmiri red chili and stir.
- 7. Now add cashew nut paste and cook till oil gets separated.
- 8. Once oil gets separated add tomato puree and cook it further for sometimes.
- 9. Now add hot spices, salt, sugar and one cup of water and cook till the gravy becomes thick.
- 10. Lastly add the dried fenugreek leaves and orange colour.
- 11. Add the prepared paneer pieces to the gravy.
- 12. Finish it with little cream and serve “Paneer Butter Masala” with nan or tandoori roti.