Sarson Ka Saag Recipe
Mention Punjab and the first image comes in mind is lush green fields and mention Punjabi food and the first thing comes in mind is “Makki Ke Roti” and “Sarson ka Saag”.
After Wheat, Maize (makka) is the staple food grains of Punjab. Roti is prepared on Tandoor in rural areas even today. In urban areas it is prepared on electric tandoor or griddle. Mustard (Sarso) in one of their main crop and it’s leaves are used to make sarso-ka-saag. For a nice and authentic flavour saag is cooked on low flame for very long time, some times for hours, It is then is tempered with fried onion, garlic, ginger and tomatoes in clarified butter. Butter is also an important cooking medium apart from being consume draw along with food. Saag and Makke ki Roti is not complete without a blob of white butter (makhhan). Jiggery and raw onion is also served with Saag and Roti.
If you are interested in another Punjabi vegetables, Dal, or Kadhi, Punjabi Aalo Masala, MasalaBhindi, Punjabi Kadhi Pakoda, Punjabi Dal Fry, Paneer Butter Masala.
How to make Sarson Ka Saag Recipe
|Ingredients For Sarson ka Saag|
|Mustard leaves (sarson leaves)||2 bunch|
|Fenugreek leaves (methi)||1 bunch|
|Spinach (palak)||1 bunch|
|Ginger (adrakh)||1” piece|
|Ginger (adrakh), chopped||1 tea spoon|
|Garlic (lahsan), chopped||1 tea spoon|
|Onion (payaz), finely chopped||½ cup|
|Green chilies (hari mirch), chopped||2 tea spoons|
|Cumin (jeera) seeds||½ tea spoon|
|Coriander (dhaniya) powder||1 tea spoon|
|Hot spices (garam masala)||1 tea spoon|
|Red chilli (lal mirch) powder||1 tea spoon|
|Maize flour (makki ka atta)||2 table spoon|
|Clarified butter (ghee)||2 table spoon|
|Salt (namak)||to taste|
- 1. Finely chop and wash mustard leaves, fenugreek leaves & spinach leaves.
- 2. Pressure cook these chopped leaves for 5-6 whistles with a little salt and a piece of ginger.
- 3. Once boiled mash it with a potato masher. (But make sure not to puree the mixture.)
- 4. Add maize flour to this mixture & mix well.
- 5. Now again put it on flame and cook it on very low flame for 45 minutes.
- 6. Heat ghee in another pan, add cumin seeds and let it crackles, now add asafoetida.
- 7. Add chopped onions & cook till they become a little translucent, add green chillies & stir for some time. Now add garlic and ginger and stir it.
- 8. Now add red chili powder, coriander powder, hot spices & stir.
- 9. Then add mixture to this, salt & cook for 8-10 minutes on low flame.
- 10. Garnish with a dollop of butter, sarson ka saag is ready to serve.
Click here for "Makki Ki Roti"
- Recipe Type : Punjab, Regional, Vegetarian
No comments yet.