Vedmi is a sweet flat bread from Gujrat. It is prepared with wheat flour and pigeon lentil (toovar dal). Vedmi is Gujarati version of Puran Poli. Puran poli is prepared with (split gram lentil) chana dal, where as Vedmi is prepared with Pigeon peas (toovar dal).
Wrapper is prepared with dough, in which a good amount of oil is added. Stuffing is prepared with boiled pigeon lentil. For sweetening jagerry is used. Unique flavor and characteristic aroma is specialty of Vedmi. For the traditional flavor cardamom and nutmeg are added to the stuffing. It is cooked with clarified butter.
The perfect preparation of vedmi is a highly skilled task. If you are making it first time, it may break and filling may come out. Initially you may sprinkle dry flour while rolling, it will help you, but you need practice to make it perfect. One or two Vedmi may get spoiled, but it after that it will come up nicely.
If you are looking for Indian desserts Moong Dal Halwa, Badshahi Seviyan, Pedukia, Mawa Kachori do visit our link.
How to make Vedmi
|Pigeon peas (toovar dal )||3/4 cup|
|Water||2 1/2 cup|
|Jaggery (gud)||3/4 cup|
|Cardamom (elaichi)powder||1/2 tea spoon|
|Nutmeg (jaiphal) powder||pinch|
|Wheat flour (gehu ka aata)||1 cup|
|Oil (tel)||1 table spoon|
|Clarified butter (ghee)||for frying|
- 1. Wash and soak lentil into water for 30-45 minutes.
- 2. Take lentil in pressure cooker add 2 cups of water and boil it for 2 whistles.
- 3. Beat the lentil using a hand beater (or belan) and add sugar.
- 4. Transfer the mixture in a thick bottomed pan and cook it till sugar melts and the mixture becomes dry.
- 5. Once all the water evaporates and the mixture becomes stiff turn the flame off. (You can check it, if a spoon stands erect in the mixture without falling down then it is stiff enough.)
- 6. Add the cardamom and nutmeg powder and mix well. Let the stuffing and let it cool completely.
- 1. Mix flour, oil and salt in a bowl.
- 2. Then start kneading dough by applying little water a time.
- 3. Dough should be smooth and soft, just like paratha dough. Cover and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- 1. Divide the stuffing into 6 equal portions and smooth balls.
- 2. Also divide the dough into 6 equal portions and make smooth balls. Flatten it out between your palms and roll them into small circle.
- 3. Put the stuffing ball in the center and start gathering the edges and seal it and flatten it with help of your hand.
- 4. Dust little into flour and roll gently into 5-6 inch diameter roti.
- 5. Heat the skillet on medium heat. Once hot place one roti and let it cook on bottom side.
- 6. Once slightly cooked flip it and apply some clarified butter on top.
- 7. Flip and cook by pressing gently with spatula. Again apply some clarified butter.
- 8. Flip and cook by pressing again the other side. If rolled properly it will puff up.
- 9. Once cooked from both sides, remove it to the plate, apply some more clarified butter on top and serve hot.