Vegetable Momos Recipe
Vegetable momos are one of the most popular street foods of India. You can find a momo’s stall at each and every corner of your city. Momos are steamed dumpling of refined flour (maida) which is stuffed with vegetables or meat.
Steamed vegetables Momo is an authentic, simple and quick recipe of north Eastern India.Although it’s origin is little confusing but it is very popular in Tibet and Nepal.
Vegetable Momos are delicious and very healthy as it is a steamed snack. These are easily digestible and are nutritious for kids as contains lots of vegetables.
It can be prepared in different shapes but half moon or dumpling style is popular shapes for momos. Usually in filling cabbage is used, but I make it with mixed vegetables. The taste of mixed vegetable comes out really good. These popular street dumplings are so versatile, that just change the stuffing, and you are ready with a new dish. Paneer (cottage cheese), soya nuggets are best choice which can be a good stuffing for momos.
Momos can be steamed or fried. Steamed ones are healthier but if you are looking for crunchy texture, you can fry it. Here I am giving the step by step recipe of steam momos. If you are looking for some more Indian street food recipe like Chhola bhatura, Pav Bhaji or Vada Pav you can follow our link.
How to make Vegetable Momos
|All purpose flour (maida)||1 cup|
|Refined oil||½ tea spoon|
|Salt||¼ tea spoon|
|Mixed vegetables, grated||1 cup|
|Onion (payaz), finely chopped||¼ cup|
|Garlic (lahsan), chopped||1 tea spoon|
|Green of Spring onions, chopped||¼ cup|
|Green chilli (hari mirch), chopped||½ tea spoon|
|Salt (namak)||to taste|
|Wine vinegar (sirka)||1 tea spoon|
|Black pepper (kali mirch)||¼ tea spoon|
|Ajinomoto||½ tea spoon|
|Corn starch||1 table spoon|
|Refined oil||1 tea spoon|
|Sesame oil (til ka tel)||1 tea spoon|
- 1. Heat refined oil and add the onion and garlic. Add Ajinomoto and Sauté it for just 2-3 minutes.
- 2. Now add the vegetables and cook it over high heat for 3-4 minutes.
- 3. Now add green onion and adjust salt.
- 4. Quickly mix corn starch in 2-3 table spoon of water and add into the vegetable.
- 5. Put the flame off the heat and mix in the vinegar and black pepper.
- 6. Add 1 tea spoon of sesame oil at this stage and mix it well.
- 1. Mix the all purpose flour and salt and knead to soft dough with water. Add little oil in between the kneading process.
- 2. Keep the dough aside for 30 minutes.
- 3. Divide the dough 12- 15 small balls.
- 4. Take each ball and roll it into thin & translucent disc.
How to proceed
- 1. Take a round, wet edges and place some filling in the center, bring edges together to cover the filling, press to seal-it will form a half moon shape.
- 2. Steam the momos for about 10 minutes and serve hot with chutney.