Crispy Sabudana Egg Vada
Growing up, I have always had a special place for Sabudana Vada in my heart. My mother used to prepare these on fasting days. I am not a big fan of keeping fasts, but I used to keep them just so I could have these delicious vadas. With time, food has also evolved. As my kids love egg, I decided to incorporate eggs into the traditional Sabudana Vada recipe, and pass on the gift to the next generation.
In this recipe, sabudana (sago) is soaked in water for a couple of hours to make it soft. The eggs (anda) and potatoes (anda) are boiled and peeled separately. The potatoes are subsequently mashed. Chopped coriander leaves (dhaniya) are added along with a variety of spices to give a fresh flavour to the potatoes. These spices can be added according to taste. The spiced potato mixture is used to cover the boiled egg. Now this potato covered egg is enclosed in another layer of sago. These vadas are then deep-fried in a hot wok, until they turn crispy golden-brown. Sabudana Egg Vadas can be served hot with green chutney. Fasting or no fasting, they never fail to garner appreciation.
How to make Crispy Sabudana Egg Vada
|Sabudana (sago)||1 cup|
|Green Chilies (hari mirch)||2-3 pieces|
|Coriander leaves (hara dhaniya)||1/3 cup|
|Cumin Seeds (sabut jeera)||½ tea spoon|
|Vegetable Oil||to fry|
|Salt (namak)||to taste|
- 1. Soak the Sabudana (sago) in 1 cup of water for 4-5 hours.
- 2. Boil and peel the eggs and keep aside.
- 3. Boil the Potatoes. Peel and mash it properly.
- 4. Wash and finely chop ginger, green chilies and coriander leaves.
- 5. Now add green chilies, coriander leaves, ginger, salt and cumin seeds in potato and mix it well.
- 6. Now take a boil egg and cover it with potato mixture.
- 7. Now coat this with sago and keep the rolls in a plate.
- 8. Repeat the process with other eggs also.
- 9. Now put oil in a deep wok and heat it well and fry the vadas till become crispy.
- 10. Serve it hot with green chutney.