For Badshahi Biryani Recipe
|Biryani Rice (Chawal)||2 cups|
|Onion (payaz,) sliced||2 big|
|Onion (payaz), finely chopped||1 big|
|Garlic (lahsan) cloves||8-10|
|Ginger (adrakh) grated||4-5 table spoons|
|Blanched Almonds (badam)||10- 12 pieces|
|Green Chilli (hari mirch) chopped||1-2 table spoon|
|Bay leaf (tej patta)||2|
|Thick Curd (dahi)||½ cup|
|Clarified butter (ghee)||½ cup|
|Coriander Leaves (hara dhaniya), chopped||½ cup|
|Vegetable oil (tel)||1 table spoon|
|Saffron (Kesar)||½ table spoon|
|Milk (doodh)||½ cup|
|Lime juice (nimboo ka ras)||2 table spoon|
Spices to grind
|Whole Red Chili (lal Mirchi)||4-5|
|Cumin Seed (jeera)||½ tea spoon|
|Brown Cardamom (elaichi moti)||2|
|Onion (payaz) chopped||1 big|
|Cinnamon (dalchini)||½” piece|
|Stone flower (patther phool)||½ tea spoon|
|Black pepper (kali mirch)||8 -10|
|Mace (javitri)||¼ tea spoon|
|Nutmeg powder (jaiphal)||¼ tea spoon|
- 1. Clean, wash and drain rice for 20 minutes. Soak saffron in milk in separate bowl.
- 2. Then fry sliced onions to a golden brown colour. Keep half of fried onion for layering and use half of them for spices.
- 3. Now grind half of fried onion, ginger, green chillies, garlic and almonds to a smooth paste. Now mix this with curd and salt and marinate the mutton with this mixture.
- 4. Now take whole red chilli, cumin seeds, cardamoms, cloves, cinnamon, stone flower, black pepper, mace and nutmeg in a grinder jar. Grind the spices in a smooth paste and keep it aside.
- 5. Heat oil in a pan and add bay leaves and half of the chopped onion in it cook it till brown.
- 6. Once onion becomes brown then add marinated mutton. Cook it in low flame for sometimes.
- 7. Add the ground spices paste (keep 1 table spoon for rice) and cook it covered on very low flame for 40- 45 minutes.
- 8. Now add water and cook on low flame till meat becomes tender and about 1 cup of gravy is left.
- 9. Put clarified butter in another pan. Add remaining chopped onion and cook it for 5 minutes.
- 10. Now add rice and the remaining 1 table spoon of spice paste and salt. Cook this for 2-3 minutes and immediately add water.
- 11. Cook it till rice becomes half cooked. Remove it from flame and let it cool for sometime.
Layering and Dum of Biryani
- 1. Take a heavy bottom big pan (handi) and put little ghee in it.
- 2. Put a layer of rice then sprinkle half of the mutton and then spread a layer of fried onion and then again put a layer of rice. ( If you are making it in large quantity, You can repeat the layering).
- 3. Add the saffron soaked in milk, coriander leaves and lemon juice.
- 4. Now pour some butter and cover the vessel and seal the edges with flour paste.
- 5. Place the pan on very low flame for one hour.
- 6. Serve delicious "Badshahi Biryani" with Raita.