Rajma Chawal Recipe
Rajma Chawal Recipe is one of the most popular dishes in Punjab. Although, in Punjab “Chapati” is more popular than Rice but Rajma-Chawal is a house hold recipe there. It is prepared on regular basis in different meals.
Rajma consists of red kidney beans in thick gravy peppered with hot spices. For this recipe, I have prepared my own Rajma masala by combining different spices, all of which can be added according to taste. But make sure that you do not go overboard with the hot spices, the flavour of which can be balanced by using aromatic spices. Cooking the Rajma perfectly is the pressure point of the dish. They should be soaked well in the beginning, and cooked in a pressure cooker by adding appropriate amount of water. Additionally, I have also used tomato (tamatar) puree in the dish, which gives it an interesting texture and a mildly sweet flavour. After combining all the ingredients, the mixture should be allowed to simmer on medium flame. This ensures that the Rajma absorbs all these flavours and becomes juicy and succulent.
Rajma (kidney beans) contains high levels of proteins and Chawal (Rice) is a good source of carbohydrate. Rajma Chawal is an easy to cook and delicious recipe. This powerhouse of flavours makes you salivate and manages to capture your heart.
How to make Rajma Chawal Recipe
|Red kidney beans (rajma)||1 cup|
|Cinnamon stick (dalchini)||1” piece|
|Black cardamom (moti elaichi)||1|
|Green cardamom (elaichi)||2|
|Onion (payaz), grated||1 cup|
|Ginger-garlic (adrakh lahsan) paste||2 table spoon|
|Tomatoes (tamater), chopped||3 big|
|Green chillies (hari mirch) chopped||2 table spoons|
|Bay leaves (tejpata)||2|
|Cumin (jeera) seeds||½ tea spoon|
|Coriander (dhaniya) powder||1 table spoon|
|Turmeric (haldi) powder||optional|
|Red chilli (lal mirch) powder||1/2 tea spoon|
|Raw mango powder (amchur)||1 table spoon|
|Vegetable oil||3 table spoons|
|Fresh coriander leaves (hara dhaniya) finely chopped||4 table spoons|
|Cream (malai)||2 table spoons|
|Salt (namak)||to taste|
For Rajma masala
|Fennel seed (saunf)||½ tea spoon|
|Cumin seed (jeera)||½ tea spoon|
|Hot spices (garam masala) powder||½ tea spoon|
|Kashmiri red chili powder||2 table spoons|
|Cinnamon (dalchini)||1” piece|
|Green cardamom (hari elaihci)||2|
|Coriander seed powder (dhaniya)||1 table spoon|
|Roasted cumin seed powder (jeera powder)||1 tea spoon|
|Black pepper (kali mirch)||7-8|
For Chawal (Steamed rice)
|Basmati rice||2 cups|
|Pure ghee||1 table spoon|
- 1. Take the ingredients of "Rajma masala" in a blender jar, grind and make smooth powder and keep aside.
- 2. Soak red kidney beans overnight. Drain & wash them.
- 3. Add whole garam masala in kidney beans and pressure cook with little salt and about 4-5 cups of water till the beans are soft.
- 4. Once done remove it from flame and let it cool and remove the whole spices from the beans.
- 5. In a blender grind tomatoes and make puree.
- 6. Heat oil in a pan, add bay leaves and cumin seeds, when they crackle, add onion, chopped green chilies & fry till onions are golden brown.
- 7. Add ginger-garlic paste, stir for few seconds, and now add tomato puree, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder & sauté for 2 minutes on medium flame.
- 8. Add rajma masala and stir it. Add dry mango powder.
- 9. Now add boiled kidney beans, mix well. Mash some of the beans with back of ladle.
- 10. Add more water let it cook on medium flame for about 20 minutes for all the flavours to be soaked in by kidney beans.
- 11. Once done put the flame off.
- 12. Garnish with cream and coriander leaves. Serve hot with rice.
- 1. Wash & soak rice for 5 minutes.
- 2. Place rice in a covered sauce pan; add water, ghee, put on high heat.
- 3. As soon as it boils rapidly, reduce heat to medium & keep simmering for 10 minutes.
- 4. Remove pot from gas but still do not open the lid.
- 5. Let the rice rest undisturbed for 5 minutes.
- 6. Fluff rice with a fork before serving.
- 7. Serve hot with rajma.
- 1. Rajma masala can be prepared in large quantity and can be preserved in a dry bottle.
- 2. If you are in hurry, you can use ready made rajma masala also.