Black Forest Cake
Black forest cake is the English name for the German dessert Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte, from where it originated. Typically, this cake consists of multiple layers of chocolate sponge cake sandwiched with dollops of whipped cream and cherries. Cherries, chocolate and whipped cream are a classic combination. It is decorated with additional helpings of whipped cream and chocolate shavings. In this recipe, if you start with a chilled bowl, the cream tends to whip up faster. If using canned cherries, soak it in water for some time before using it for the preparation of the cake. This cake relies on the volume of eggs used to rise properly and become fluffy. So make sure to beat your eggs long enough and do not over mix the batter after adding the dry ingredients. The oven should be pre-heated to the correct temperature. Red rum is also added to the cake, for flavor. Cherry juice or tinned cherry syrup can also be used instead of red rum. The sugar in the soaking syrup can be adjusted according to taste. For assembling the layers, spread whipped cream and sliced cherries on one layer, and then top it with another sponge cake layer. The whipped topping used between the layers should be thick enough to prevent sliding of the layers.3-4 layers would be ideal. The finished cake should be cooled in the refrigerator for a minimum of 4-6 hours before serving. This delectable black forest cake is a popular favorite among Indian kids and will finish in no time.
How to make Black Forest Cake Recipe
|All purpose Flour||1 ½ cup|
|Cocoa powder||4 table spoon|
|Baking powder||1 ½ tea spoon|
|Baking Soda||¼ tea spoon|
|Vanilla Essence||few drops|
|White Butter||½ cup|
|Grated chocolate||½ cup|
|Whip Cream||1 ½ cup|
|Red Rum||2 tea spoon|
|Sugar Syrup||½ cup|
|Icing sugar||2 tea spoon|
- 1. Preheat oven at 180 C.
- 2. Sieve the all purpose flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda at least 3 times.
- 3. Beat butter and sugar. Then add eggs and beat, till it becomes light and fluffy.
- 4. Add flour mixture and Vanilla Essence in the butter mixture.
- 5. Check the consistency of batter. If it is thick add little milk, otherwise avoid.
- 6. Grease a baking dish and pour the cake mixture into it.
- 7. Bake at 180° C for 30-35 minutes. Check the cake with a tooth pick, if it comes out clean put off the oven.
- 8. Cool the cake and cut horizontally into two parts. (I prefer to cut it into3 -4 slices).
For Soaking Syrup
- 1. Boil the sugar and water until it becomes almost half in volume. Cool and add the rum and moist the cake with this syrup.
- 1. Grate chocolate slab with a peeler and keep it in freezer for 1 hour.
- 2. Cut cherries into half for decoration.
- 3. Beat cream and icing sugar till fluffy placing it on ice.
- 4. Spread the cream on the one part of cake. Layer the cream with cherries.
- 5. Put another layer of cake and top with cream. (If you have more layers repeat the process with all). Cover it from sides also.
- 6. Now spread the grated chocolate over the cake. Finally, decorate it with cherries.